Main Forum
Page
of 10

The Last Stand of the Teir'Dal Discussion *Spoilers*

99 replies
127 posts
+72 Shinies
Untagged users
I decided to make this as a place for people to discuss the first ebook for EverQuest Next "The Last Stand of the Teir'Dal" by Maxwell Alexander Drake

From my understanding at this point in time there are no separate races of elves and are only made of the factions as explained in the lore panel video.

Based on the above I think people can come to the conclusion that after reading the short story that this is a prelude to the creation of the Dark Elven Teir'Dal we all know.

First sign to me was the appearance of Lanys T'Vyl. For those of you unfamiliar with Lanys T'Vyl, in the original EverQuest she was known as the Daughter of Hate and potential Avatar for the Prince of Hatre, the god Innoruuk.

The second sign was the unearthly draw that brought Keramore to the wizard spires buried beneath the city surrounded by oddly shaped humanoid figures. My assumption is these statues represent or are replicas of Innoruuk.

Finally my third clue was where they ended up once passed the portal. They were in a strange land covered in black sand and a black starless sky. This description resembles one you can find for the Plane of Hate in the original EverQuest. Though instead of black sand is appeared to be a cursed village but still had a black starless sky.

I honestly look forward to a continuation of this story to see what becomes of meek weary Teir'Dal forces and to see if they turn on the Combine (possibly enlisting Ogres, Iksar, and Trolls to their side.)

Edit: This has also lead me to believe that the gods mentioned in the lore panel may not be all of them but only the ones that the Combine worship/know of.

Innoruuk and Cazic Thule could still be very real but have chosen not to have shown themselves to the races of Norrath yet.
Posted Aug 6, 13 · OP · Last edited Aug 8, 13 by Taysa Marwood
+1  Shinies
 Shinies
52 posts
+30 Shinies
Scribe
Yeah, that's the theory that I had as well, though lacking the pre-established EverQuest lore knowledge (mainly me just taking into account the Teir'Dal name, the portal that allowed them to escape, the black sand of where they ended up, and some hints from the panel videos). With all the information together, this theory is pretty much all but officially confirmed.

Now one must wonder how the join up with the Combine. I'm assuming they either resurface on Norrath about the time when the Combine returns as well, or possibly even sometime before, perhaps being an already-established ally to the Combine when their recolonization begins.
4CSDO9S.jpg
Posted Aug 6, 13
0  Shinies
33 posts
+9 Shinies
Untagged users
I agree pretty much with your analyzing of the story. The gods are a tangible force instead of something physical, they will work in mysterious ways :sick:
If its true that it is in the Plane of Hate, it wouldnt really explain the horns (or, well, the elves are partly dragon blooded, according to SJ, either my ancestry or whatever)
Commission_Rencey_Signature_.jpg

15.jpg
Posted Aug 8, 13
0  Shinies
127 posts
+72 Shinies
Untagged users
Well it just so happens there is a dragon loose wherever they are. We'll just have to wait to see how it is brought into their gene pool.
Posted Aug 8, 13 · OP
0  Shinies
237 posts
+131 Shinies
Online on Site
Devotee
When I saw Lanys was there I wrung my hands in anticipation. :sick:

I was more for Bertoxxulous in EQ1, but had some Innoruuk as well. In EQ2 my main (Dark Elf Inquisitor) is Innoruuk. I'm quite interested to see how this plays out and how we get horns.
477f13d1caef1181.png
http://wiki.swtor-rp.com/index.php?title=Darth_Morella_D%27Vraenex
Posted Aug 8, 13
0  Shinies
39 posts
+35 Shinies
Untagged users
I'm wondering if this isn't the setup for splitting some races off from the Combine, especially if there's divine meddling going on.
Posted Aug 8, 13
0  Shinies
It's an interesting theory, and as a Teir'Dal lore enthusiast, one that I would definitely be ok with. I have a few Teir'Dals I'd like to continue RPing in EQN, but some of them are without purpose if there's no Innoruuk or some hateful counterpart.

Saying that the Teir'Dal in the book didn't look like the Teir'Dal we'll have access to in the game (that over the 500 or so years in between the fall of Bastion and the Age of Heroes when EQN takes place, they were transformed) would answer the questions in my mind as to why the Teir'Dal in the book have blonde hair. (Several references of that in the book) It would also answer why none of the other physical features were explained...eyes, skin color etc. (It was carefully written to throw off the reader as SJ and co. surprise us with more details is my guess.)
Posted Aug 8, 13
0  Shinies
44 posts
+30 Shinies
Untagged users
I love theorycrafting lore!

My current guess is close to yours. I do sense, and hope, that Innoruuk is about to have a hand in things. However, the devs have confirmed that the Teir'dal have some sort of dragonic influence in their change in appearance. So my theory:

The land on the other side of the portal isn't actually planar, they've landed in the Lavastorm Mountains where Nagafen was napping in the old lore. I believe whatever happens to make the Teir'dal dragonic will occur and lost, cut off from their allies, surrounded by enemies and in an inhospitable climate (and perhaps with a slightly mad/corrupted leader) will make their way toward the boarders of Nektulos Forest to the south and found Neriak, named after Keramore's lost love, Neria. They will reside there, making allies with nearby races, for the 500 years that rest of the Combine is on Kunark. When the Combine returns to Amaril (Antonica) the Teir'dal will make contact. The change in their appearance and the inevitable cultural evolution of 500 years will make the reunion a tense one but the two forces will continue to be allies.

I'd love to wrong. I'd love for them to have actually made it to the Plane of Hate. I'd love for Inny to do his thing, for the Teir'dal to be the foundation of a darker more "evil" counter faction to the Combine. But everything we've heard from the developers so far point to them wanting to avoid anything but light-grey and keep us all one faction. Lanys' presence does point to Innorruk, but Firiona is around and Tunare is not to be seen so I don't think it's as cut and dry as that. And the change to Dragon based corruption instead of Innoruuk's curse leads me to think that efforts are being made specifically to remove the taint of Hate from the Teir'dal.

Aaaaand phooey on that.
ainisig.png
-= Admin - Neverwinter Roleplayers | Community Manager - Everquest Next RP =-
Follow us on Twitter! | Join us on Facebook!
Posted Aug 8, 13
+1  Shinies
 Shinies
84 posts
+67 Shinies
Untagged users
86 pages is a short story?

Pretty sure that's novella length.
Posted Aug 9, 13
+1  Shinies
 Shinies
39 posts
+35 Shinies
Untagged users
I'm pretty sure the starless sky is a big hint they're not in Kansas (or Norrath) anymore. I'm starting to wonder if the presence of a badly wounded black dragon has anything to do with the eventual appearance of the Teir'Dal, although given their intense dislike of dragons I don't see them indulging in anything draconic voluntarily.
Posted Aug 9, 13
0  Shinies
Page
of 10
Announcement of